Christ Church.  South Nutfield.

New to Church?

Here are a few pointers of what to expect

New to Christianity?

Does God exist? What do Christians believe?


Click to see video

Can we get married at Christ Church?

If you live within the parish boundaries of the Christ Church South Nutfield, and you are marrying for the first time you can get married here. To check if you live in the parish go to and type in your post code

If you do not live in the parish the law changed a few years ago to allow you to marry in a church where you or your family have a connection. This means that you can get married at Christ Church for example if you have ever lived in the parish for a period of six months or your parents were married here. Also, by coming to services at Christ Church for six months you can establish a connection. For more information on connections see:

If you have been married before you MAY be able to get married at Christ Church. It will be necessary to complete the Church of England form 'Marriage in Church after Divorce' as a preliminary to an in-depth discussion with the Vicar. From this we will work out the most appropriate way to proceed. For more information on this see:

Understanding the legalities 

A wedding in a church is a legal ceremony. Most Church of England marriages will require banns to be published before the wedding can take place. To do this, we will need to see both of you, and proof of identity and citizenship. The banns are an announcement of your intention to marry and they are read out in church (at the start of our 10:30am service) for three consecutive Sundays within the three months before you marry. If you live beyond the parish, you will also need to arrange to have the banns read in the parish church/s where you are living.  

If you are under 18 years old you will need your parents' consent to marry and by law you can not be married in the UK until you are 16. To be legal the wedding must take place between 8am and 6pm. Weddings usually take place on a Saturday but other days can be considered after discussion with the parish administrator/Vicar.

In certain circumstances, it is recommended that the licence procedure be used as the legal preliminary rather than the calling of banns. The situation with marriages where one of the couple are not citizens of the European Union has recently changed and now can only be authorised via a civil Superintendent Registrar’s certificate. Get in touch and our Vicar will talk this through with you and advise the best way to proceed.